Faith and community leaders in the UK are making attempts to calm heightened tension because of the war in Israel / Gaza. There is a sense of deep shock and fear in the Jewish community, while pro-Palestinian protests are planned, despite warnings from the Home Secretary that waving Palestinian flags and shouting slogans could be illegal under the Public Order Act.
In our briefing, the leaders discussed how they are responding to the crisis, trying to ensure that the war does not lead to the polarisation of communities in this country. They said continuing conversations among all faiths was vital. Roger Bolton hosted this Religion Media Centre briefing with a number of guests:
- Laura Marks, co-founder and CEO of Nisa Nashim, Jewish and Muslim women’s network; chair of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust.
- Ashley Beck, project director of the Interfaith Network.
- Amardeep Bassey, community reporter based in the Midlands.
- Canon Dr Andrew Smith, Director of Interfaith Relations for the Bishop of Birmingham.
- Mustafa Field, Director Faiths Forum for London; with Rabbi Frank Dabba Smith, Vice-Chair of the Brent Multi-faith Forum, on joint statement for community peace.
- Simon Phillips, Director of Interfaith for the Leeds Jewish Representative Council.
- Warren Elf, Faith Network for Manchester Co-Chair.
- Councillor Heather Fletcher, co-chair of The Muslim Jewish Forum of Greater Manchester.
To join future RMC briefings, join our mailing list here >>
Full Briefing Video
We live tweet all of our briefings – find us at @relmedcentre