Thousands gather in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday vigil
An estimated 30,000 people gathered in Trafalgar Square for a vigil to remember the former Cambridge professor, Jason Arday, who died on Friday. His death followed media scrutiny of his academic record and life story, with accusations of plagiarism and fabrication which he denied. The vigil was organised by Stand Up to Racism, and speakers included MPs and campaigners against racism and media intrusion. Professor Robert Beckford, a theologian researching faith and social justice, posted on Facebook that he was “with the 30,000 at Trafalgar Square to lament the media lynching of Jason Arday”.
Arday openly expressed his Christian faith and was in demand as a speaker on racial justice and equality. The Greenbelt Festival, which was due to include him as a speaker, has issued a statement on its website, following his death: “Greenbelters will know that Jason Arday spoke movingly and powerfully at Greenbelt in 2024. He contacted us about a month ago (in mid-July 2026) to ask us to remove references to him and his talk from the Greenbelt website. It was clear he was under intense pressure. We did so immediately out of respect for him and to honour his wishes. We are devastated by what has unfolded over the last month”.
Chine McDonald, Director of Theos, said on Facebook that she had many thoughts on “(selective) trials by media, being Black at Cambridge, and the double standards of being Black within white majority institutions”, but she was sick in the stomach at the heartbreak she felt for his family. The Rev Neil Thorogood, Moderator of the United Reformed Church General Assembly, said they shared the shock and sadness at his death: “His all too brief life was an inspiration in so many ways, even as recent events begged so many questions and leave so much to face now”.
Bishop ‘enters admissions’ to misconduct allegations following Makin review
The Church of England has released a brief statement about the disciplinary action against the former Bishop of Durham, Paul Butler, in connection with information contained in the Makin Review which looked at the Church’s handling of allegations against the late John Smyth. Bishop Butler retired in 2024 and was asked to “step back” from ministry in November that year over safeguarding concerns in the report. From 2012 – 2017, he was president of Scripture Union which had historical links until 2000, with the “Iwerne camps” where John Smyth was a camp leader. The Church of England statement issued yesterday says: “At the commencement of the hearing before the Court of the Vicar General of York to consider a complaint brought against him by the National Director of Safeguarding, Mr Alexander Kubeyinje, the Rt Rev Paul Butler entered admissions to the allegations of misconduct. The hearing was then adjourned and a further hearing to consider a penalty will be listed in due course.”
Cardinal Pizzaballa visits Taybeh, appeals for preserving its Christian presence
Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, has visited Taybeh, the last remaining Christian village in Palestine, on the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. He said that preserving the Christian presence there requires “guarding the heart against fear, despair and the effects of difficult circumstances”, and he urged the people to be courageous and not afraid. He said the church would continue to do everything in its power to preserve the Christian presence throughout the Holy Land and he encouraged people to remain rooted in faith and hope even when the future seems difficult or impossible
Theos makes the case for studying Theology and Religious Studies
The think tank Theos has produced a student-facing resource ”Big Questions. Real-World Skills”, which highlights the importance of studying Theology and Religious Studies at university. It’s a joint venture with TRS-UK, representing theology and religious studies departments, and encourages students to choose a subject equipping young people to face challenges of society today. It says: “We live in a world shaped by rapid technological change, global interconnection, and deep differences in belief and identity. Theology and Religious Studies (TRS) is a subject that speaks directly to that world”. The brochure argues for the importance and value of TRS courses and includes testimonies from recent TRS graduates on how the subject has been applied to careers in law, politics, the civil service and communications. It’s part of a suite of resources on RE and Theology / Religious Studies on the Theos website.
‘Divinity Atlas’ website on world religions invites challenge and debate
A software company in Florida, Interactive Lion, has launched the divinityatlas.com website, a free online encyclopaedia of the world’s religions, mythologies and esoteric traditions. It has more than 16,000 entries and 159,467 facts,with information on beliefs, practices, sacred stories, characters and demography, all pointing to the source of the information. Words can be challenged by readers, citing alternative facts or understanding. Contested claims are labelled as such, and disagreements expressed as “held differently”. The company’s founder, Chris Leite, said they wanted to create a space where a scholar can put their claims on trial, and where “two friends can argue about mythology the way other people argue about sports.” The website also offers optional paid for personalised readings drawn from 36 disciplines, such as tarot, runes or astrology. More via RNS here.
Methodist project to help provide community for farmers in Devon
The Methodist Church in West Devon has launched the “Rural Recharge” project to provide farmers a chance to socialise and rest amid the stress of working in agriculture. It sets up activity evenings for bowling, fishing, or just socialising with friends in agriculture. Part funded by Devon County Council, the project was set up by Sarah Balsdon, children and families worker, and the Rev Chris Jackson, Superintendent Minister of the West Devon Circuit. She pointed to well documented reports saying that farming communities are vulnerable, particularly among men, to suicide. She said: “In our community there are a lot of small-scale farmers who work alone and may not see or speak to anyone for a week or more. The idea behind Rural Recharge was to provide a space where they can socialise and do things together… Building community is something that the Church can help support no matter where in the country you live”. More here.
Chinese Trappist monk who survived Mao torture and built a monastery, dies aged 108
Father Benedict Chao, a Chinese Trappist monk and the last surviving link to the suppression of China’s Cistercian monasteries under Mao, has died aged 108. Born in Hebei in 1918, he entered Our Lady of Joy Abbey in Chengting in 1941. During China’s civil war, he was among monks seized by Communist forces at a monastery at Yangjiaping in 1947, who were tortured and faced a mock trial, watched their monastery being destroyed and forced to march 100 miles. Father Chao and other survivors later established a new Trappist monastery on Hong Kong’s Lantau Island, building it by hand. The community became known for rearing cows and producing dairy products. Father Chao served as its prior from 1974 to 1998. He died on 31 July. Telegraph obit here.
Nuns fight plans to take away their private beach in Italy
A group of Italian nuns is fighting plans by a local council to put their beach concession out to public tender. The Suore di Carità di Santa Maria have managed the 50-metre Bagni Gino Garrone beach at Spotorno, on the northwest coast, for decades, renting out loungers and umbrellas to raise funds for an infants school and summer camp. But the local authority says the concession must be reclassified under EU and regional law, which says that private beach concessions should be put to public tender. Spotorno’s mayor, Mattia Fiorini, that the area would be reclassified as a “free equipped beach” and if they wanted to continue running it they would have to compete in a public tender. Sister Miranda, a nun in her 80s, challenged the mayor, saying: “It’s ours. Why does the municipality want to take away our beach? If they do, we won’t even be able to keep the school running”. Guardian story here.
















